Friday, September 08, 2006

You can't have one without the other.

“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy” (1 Pet. 4:12, 13).

During my first semester at the Moody Bible Institute in 1952, I purchased a beautiful wall plaque which bore the imprint of Phil. 3:10:

“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection.”

I was so proud of and inspired by the words on this sign. It became the first object I looked at upon rising, and the last sight before retiring. In fact, I had decided to make this passage my life’s verse. One day a friend came in my room, saw the plaque, admired it, but informed me that the entire verse was not printed upon it. Somewhat shocked, I hurriedly turned to look it up. Upon discovering the entire message, I suddenly became less sure I wanted this verse as my life’s verse. What I read was:

“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.”

You see, I had been tremendously inspired by the first part of the verse, but was definitely less excited about the second section. I wanted the power of the resurrection without the fellowship of the sufferings, but this is impossible! One simply cannot have the first apart from the second!