Friday, August 18, 2006

Don't Be Too Quick To Judge.

As a personal note, to my shame, I did not start drinking until after my conversion. The reason for this is that I began running with a crowd of unsaved boys. I’m sure an Arminian would have pointed to me back then as an example of someone who “had it,” but through booze had “lost it.” Of course, they had no way of knowing the terrible struggle and conviction that were raging inside me during that period. The Spirit of God literally had my carnal soul in a divine vise, applying the pressure that only He can. Part of my carnality in those days was an attempt to escape the call of God to preach. I knew He was calling me, but, like Jonah, I turned and ran. Finally, unable to bear it any longer, I submitted my will to Him. What peace and joy then filled my heart as I enrolled in the Moody Bible Institute to prepare for the gospel ministry.

The point of all the above is simply this: we cannot make a final judgment concerning the salvation of any professing Christian, for only God knows those who truly belong to him. “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity” (2 Tim. 2:19).

As a final illustration, imagine yourself in the vicinity of the Garden of Gethsemane on a warm April night some 2,000 years ago. As you watch, a man walks up to Jesus and begins kissing him. You would probably conclude how this man must love the Master!” Shortly after this you are shocked to hear another man bitterly cursing Christ. Now your conclusion would be, “How this man must hate the Master!” But both times you would be wrong. Judas, the man who kissed Christ, really hated him, and Peter, the one who cursed Him, really loved Him.