Monday, August 21, 2006

Salvation Tag-Team.

Imagine justification and sanctification sitting together in some large city rescue meeting. Both listen intently as the visiting preacher proclaims the saving work of Jesus Christ and then invites any and all to come forward and accept this glorious Redeemer.

As they watch, a poor wretch of a man gets to his feet and stumbles forward, wearing filthy and tattered clothes, his breath reeking with alcohol, his eyes bloodshot, his body covered with bruises caused by fighting and falling, and his mouth showing traces of dried vomit. Soon his sobs fill the room as he cries out, “Oh God save me for Jesus’ sake!”

Justification whispers to Sanctification: “Excuse me, I see I’m needed down front.” Five minutes later Justification returns and reports to Sanctification: “Well, that didn’t take long, did it? But everything went according to plan. I’ve declared him righteous before God. He’s your worry now.”

With a nod of agreement, Sanctification replies, “Yes I know. But you needn’t wait for me for my divine assignment will take a little longer than five minutes. In fact, it will continue non-stop until the Rapture or when he is called home by way of death.”

Thank God for those two faithful friends of all repenting sinners! The first friend (justification) saved us from the penalty of sin, while the second (sanctification) saves us from the power of sin!