Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Want God to use you? Don't ask...

This advice sound strange to you? I know it sure did to me as I stood at the altar of Moody Memorial Church in Chicago, Illinois along with several hundred other young people over a half century ago. We had just answered the call to dedicate our lives to God following a sermon by Dr. Vance Havner. Looking down at us, he said:

“In a few minutes I’m going to ask the dear Lord to honor your commitment. However, before I do, I want you to pray for yourself. But, don’t pray, ‘LORD USE ME!’ ”

I still remember how shocked I was to hear those words. What did he mean by them? After all, that’s why we were standing there. But, as if he had read my mind, he continued:

“Don’t worry, He’ll use you alright. In fact, He’ll wear you out. There’s not enough of you to go around as it is! No, don’t pray, ‘LORD USE ME,’ but rather, ‘LORD MAKE ME USABLE!’

What a simple but profound truth. In other words, he was saying that in order to be used, one must make himself or herself usable.

The bottom line? God does not require golden vessels or demand sinless ones, but He absolutely insists upon clean ones.