Thursday, September 14, 2006

He never pulled rank.

“And Jesus took upon Himself the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of man.” He thus agreed to join His heavenly, divine nature to that of an earthly, human nature, appearing at Bethlehem as a lowly servant!
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth (Jn. 1:14).
“But when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law (Gal. 4:4).

This simple but absolutely staggering fact cannot be even remotely grasped by human minds. The infinite, holy Creator suddenly becomes in the likeness of his finite and sinful creatures (yet without sin). Who can comprehend such un-believable condescension? It is as if a mighty and magnificent earthly king would determine to lay aside for a while his fantastic storehouse of wealth and, leaving behind an adoring and amazed court, take upon himself the body of a lowly ant. The ‘Son of Man’ was, by the way, our Lord’s favorite name for Himself while on earth. He took upon himself the form of a servant. He did not come as a mighty human Caesar or some world-renowned human philosopher. Even this would have been a condescension of colossal pro-portions. He came, rather, as a lowly servant.

A number of years ago, some evangelical Bible scholars were asked: “From a theological perspective, what Christian song in your opinion is the greatest ever written?” Heading up the poll was Isaac Watts’ glorious hymn, “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.” Dear reader, ponder now (as I am doing) just how my pride and self-seeking stacks up as compared with the first two stanzas:

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to His blood.