Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pillars... caterpillars

Since coming to Liberty University in 1972 to establish our Bible Institute I have had the opportunity to preach in hundreds of churches. It wasn’t long before it became evident that the average congregation consisted of two groups. The smaller group (some 10-20%) were the PILLARS. These faithful members gave willingly and lovingly of their time, talent, and treasure to the work of God. They taught Sunday School, drove buses, visited the sick in hospitals and sinners in their homes. These were the PILLARS!

And the remaining 80-90%? Well, like CATERPILLARS they simply crawled in and out every three or four weeks!

It well may be Isaac Watts had the caterpillars in mind when he composed the following hymn. You’ll note the first three stanzas overview the problem involved, while the fourth stanza presents the glorious solution!

Am I a soldier of the cross? A foll’wer of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause Or blush to speak His name?

Must I be carried to the skies On flow’ry beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize And sailed thru bloody seas?

Are there no foes for me to face? Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace, To help me on to God?

Sure I must fight if I would reign—Increase my courage, Lord!
I’ll bear the toil, endure the pain, Supported by Thy Word.